Highland Council weather impact and situation report
8th October 2014
A number of roads and schools have been affected throughout the eastern part of the Highlands today (Wednesday, 08 October 2014). The situation as reported by The Highland Council's Community Services and Care and Learning Services is as follows.
Four schools are closed. Balloch Primary and Avoch Primary are closed due to heavy rain and Millburn Academy is closed due to flooding in the roads and area surrounding the school. Smithton Primary is closed until 11 am.
Parents and guardians requiring information on school closures should phone the school closures information line 0800 564 2272 to get the latest pre-recorded message from the head teacher of their child's school. A list of school PIN is numbers available on the council's website to use when dialing.
Roads and harbours affected throughout the Highland area are as follows:
· Road closures - Barnchurch Road, Balloan Road, Diriebught Road at Millburn Academy, Culloden Road, Smithton Road and Moray Road.
· Milton of Leys underpass was closed last night but is now open.
· Council staff are in attendance at Moray Road (Culloden), Birchwood (Inshes) and next to Dows Diner (Balloan Road). The Community Services depot is filling sandbags and dealing with requests for them.
· Mill Street was closed last night but is now open.
· Localised flooding with surface water but no road closures. Culbo road end and Braefindon road end affected.
· Flooding at Primary School in Avoch is not affecting the road.
· Council staff are sweeping roads at Rosemarkie and Fortrose at the harbour area due to debris from the seawalls being overtopped. Water has receded.
· The seawall at Golspie was overtopped overnight causing flooding - Council staff were in assistance. Sand bags were issued yesterday. Road not closed.
· Golspie Caravan Park is flooded. No public road closed.
· Section of harbour sea wall washed over at Portmahomack harbour, inspection in hand by Council staff.
· Wick - minor clear up of roads around harbour area.
· Staxigoe Harbour – wash out of rock armour and some stones on pier deck. The harbour is being inspected by Council staff.
· C1034 Altnaharra – Strathmore – Hope Rd - Road closed at Braesgill Bridge where temporary bypass has been washed out and at Strathmore Lodge (Alltnacaillich Bridge).
· No current issues. Monitoring rivers and tides. Barriers are in place at Nairn.
Clean up at Camps area of Wick, Caithness
Photographer Noel Donaldson